Small House is two sisters. Small House is Valerie Marchand and Heather Marchand. Both work out of their home studios in Torontom, Ontario. Any given day you will find either or both sisters sewing, drawing, painting, gluing and cutting. Both Valerie and Heather have educations in Fine Arts and are most happy when creating something. Aesthetics and function are carefully considered concerning all items made for Small House.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Finding Inspiration...

Inspiration can come from anything.
I pull inspiration from objects, artworks, the environment and things I see everyday. I could be themes, or maybe colour schemes. I build and diversify my aesthetic by collecting things... some may call it hoarding... I choose to call it research.

While I'm at my day job I am surrounded by beautiful things, gorgeous handmade and decorative Japanese papers. The more I admire them, the more I notice my tastes migrating to the more unusual patterns. It's refreshing to see the way they put different colours together, combinations I would not expect or have considered myself. They encourage me to take more chances with the objects I make, the unusual is most beautiful.

Here's a few of the papers I am digging right now.... new additions to my collection:



Silkscreened Chiyogami Paper


Handmade and Hand Stenciled Katazome-Shi


Cut-out Patterns from Katazome-Shi


Silkscreened Chiyogami Papers

Small House loves Japanese paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment